Looking at switching to natural gas appliances might be an option to lower expenditures at the same time as experiencing increases in comfort, convenience and efficiency.
Shale gas abundant in the US meaning that equivalent prices are low and stable, and shale gas is relatively the least polluting fossil fuel, consequently, it can be regarded as the greener option.
If you already have gas installed in your home, or are buying a new home you should consider the probable benefits of choosing gas and natural gas appliances. Read more about gas appliances below from Federal Way Appliance Repair:
What is a Gas Home Appliance?
A natural gas home appliance employs gas as the dominant fuel source. Natural gas devices afford a great substitute for electrical home appliances.
In general you will still need to supply electricity to a gas appliance. The amount of electricity needed will vary from appliance to appliance. E.g, a gas boiler will work even if the power goes out, whereas a natural gas tumble dryer still needs electricity to make the drum turn.
A List of Appliances That Operate Using Gas
Natural gas can be used for more than heating.
Providing heat with gas typically costs less than heating using electrical heaters. Your expenditure could halve subject to your energy costs and efficiency.
Gas provides higher air temperatures and offers better reliability.This is very handy if you for winter power outages
Apart from keeping your home warm gas is great for having a fire in your home.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a natural gas fire, you still get real flames and plenty of warmth without the mess.
Gas air conditioning can offer an adept method to cool your home.
Natural gas air conditioning are often more expensive to begin with but is cheaper to run and maintain meaning a better return on your investment. Superior efficiency has the added positive impact of lowering your carbon footprint.
There are two styles of natural gas water boilers, non-tank and tank. Gas heaters are more rapid and more fuel efficient than their electric alternatives. On-demand water heaters also provide a continuous supply.
The fact that gas lines are almost always underground and protected from the elements means you can still have heating even when you don’t have electricity.
We’ve all heard the phrase “cooking with gas”. A gas company marketing line designed to link the use of natural gas with effectiveness and efficiency.
Clever marketing or not the saying is still around because it is true. A great many chefs and home cooks choose gas for the ease with which you can vary the temperature, and natural gas stoves are also a less wasteful way of converting energy into heat.
You may not immediately think of using natural gas to dry your clothes, however, gas tumble dryers have many advantages. Gas Dryers dry clothes a few degrees hotter thus drying clothes in a shorter time and clothes have to endure less tumbling.
You have to restrict your gas use to indoor appliances. When it comes to outdoor entertaining, gas is a popular choice for patio lights and outdoor cooking and even to heat your pool.
Wow friends as soon as they arrive with path lights, keep them warm on cool evenings and get a meal prepared outside, whenever you are ready, and without the need to remember to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like indoor heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as quickly as an electric heater. And natural gas patio heaters set the mood as well as giving heat for the best outside entertaining.
Advantages of Gas Home Appliances
With any decision you make it makes sense to weight up the pros and the cons. Here are some of the benefits of choosing Natural Gas.
- Gas is generally cheaper than electricity thus lowering your annual power bills.
- Natural gas appliances tend to be more efficient making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Natural gas is an ecologically sound choice as it is the least polluting of the fossil fuels, with emissions of around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less carbon dioxide than coal.
- Natural gas lines are less exposed to the elements making supply more reliable. This means you can continue to heat your home even if the power goes out.At worst you might need to find a match.
Negatives of Gas Home Appliances
- Natural gas home appliances tend to are subject to a higher initial investment. Both the cost of the appliance and the cost to install are likely to be more for a natural gas appliance when looking at next to electrical appliances.
- Having a gas line installed if you don’t already have one can be expensive. The cost will vary depending on how close the nearest supply is to your home, so it is worth talking to your supplier before deciding.
- Moving or extending a natural gas line can also cost a considerable amount.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a killer if gas devices are not properly installed or regularly maintained. Having a carbon monoxide alarm is essential is you use natural gas in your home.
Should You Choose Natural Gas?
Making the decision between gas and electricity is not always simple and the best choice for you might not be the right decision for everyone.
If your main driver is cost gas is currently the least expensive fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, converting to gas is expensive. Thus, getting a quote for installing a gas line if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good place to start.
Another benefit of natural gas is reliability of supply. If power failures are common where you live then having appliances that continue to work during power failures can be a huge benefit.
Lastly, in environmental terms, while natural gas home appliances are generally more efficient you can’t power them from renewable sources in the same way you can electrical home appliances. Choosing renewable energy could be more cost-effective and more eco-friendly options in the long run.